new age for Aussie imperialism?

Warwick Kenneth Fry wfry10 at SPAMscu.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 07:04:46 MDT 1999

Gary,

        I am mad keen to answer a lot of this - some of it' back channel',
some of it more publicly on the list. I think it can be a useful lesson
for the marxist left. And I don't see any problem in answering your and
others' 'arguments' yet alone your taunts, even if the DSP might.
Unfortunately my ability to handle maillists is hamstrung at the moment -
see the PS for the reasons - but I will, believe me, I will.

        I am not a card-carrying DSP-er but I share their position, and I
really don't see the sense in these attacks on their position. I may be
mistaken, but those who are attacking this position of the DSP seem to be
calling it a 'line', which to me indicates a mind, (or minds) set within a
discourse easily attacked. If only because the East Timorese do not seem
to be included within it, but also because it segues in very embarrassing
way (for intellectuals and 'marxists') between 'the people' and nation
states!

        My dips (I'll explain why I dip in the PS) into this list show a
very careless semantic diffusion of nations, national identities and
people. We slip so carelessly between "The Indonesians" the  "Timorese"
the "Australians", stepping daintily across the stones of the elites that
these terms represent and so proud of uour footwork that we don't
look down at the  river of the 'people' swirling around these rocks, the
direction of the flow.

                                        WF

PS: A couple of weekends ago I had a couple of 12 year old research
assistants in  to do some field research on digital game theory. They
installed some demo games on my computer, one of which has systematically
disabled  my winsock files. Although my dialler works perfectly, none of
my windows internet applications will work  - no browser, no mailler. No
way to download, archive, analyse and selectively respond to my maillists.
I do have sporadic telnet/pine access, but it means I speedread a backed
up email list of about a thousand email topics, quickly read titles I
think I should, and respond very selectively on the fly in real- time
pine/telnet.

        Hence, my lack of response to subjects I dearly want to engage,
and the erratic style when I do.

        I've just installed linux and can recommend it - it will, I hope
send Bill Gates to gaol, and allow me to access my email, download and
archive it before I run out of disk quota.

                                                WF