Materialism in Imperialist Policy (was Re: Replying to Alan

Wed Sep 15 23:10:12 MDT 1999

Yoshie:

>I also agree with you on the use of micro-statelet tactics.  What I am not
>sure of is whether 'Indonesia' is already a former ally (while parts of its
>ruling class are).  I just read Philip Ferguson's post on the TV interview
>with Jose Ramos Horta and his comments on Clinton, Albright, the UN War
>Crimes Tribunal, & the World Bank.  If the UN War Crimes Tribunal is set up
>in the manner that Horta wishes, and severe economic sanctions follow,
>Indonesia will go the way of Iraq.

I think this scenario is impossible, for the imperialists. Indonesia is
simply too big, in every way. If Horta gets his way (it's funny, I viewed
him, until two days ago, as the only Nobel peace prize winner worth a damn.
Damn!), then the solution will be to dismantle Indonesia right now, right
away, in whatever manner it takes. It would (will?) be the most brutal
campaign since the second WW. It would have to be, and Iraq would end up
looking like it got off easy.

Macdonald

How many times have I wondered if it really possible to forge links with a
mass of people when one has never had strong feelings for anyone, not even
one's own parents; if it is possible to have a collectivity when one has not
been deeply loved oneself by individual human creatures. Hasn't this had
some effect on my life as a militant- has it not tended to make me sterile
and reduce my quality as a revolutionary by making everything a matter of
pure intellect, of pure mathematical calculation?
       ---Antonio Gramsci, 1926.