DSP silence

Thu Sep 16 17:34:47 MDT 1999

> From: Louis Proyect
> The other thing, more importantly for us, is that I am not sure what the
> point would be with a debate with orthodox democratic-centralists.
Although
> the DSP'ers are much more likable as a group than the sorts we used to
rub
> shoulders with on the grandparents of this list, you still are dealing
with
> a very real problem in terms of discussion. They simply CAN NOT admit
that
> they are wrong even if we persuade them of that during a debate. This
> admission can only occur within the party at the appropriate time and
> place, such as the next meeting of their political committee or national
> convention. This is the rules of the game as set down at the 1924
> "Bolshevization" Comintern conference and if you don't adhere to them
> strictly, all sorts of terrible things will happen. You will get warts on
> your buttocks and hair will start growing out of your ears.

The thing is that the DSP has structures for making democratic decisions.
If they start bypassing them, they stop being democratic.  One key element
is that the DSP's decisions are made by DSP members - non-members don't get
to vote.  That means that the decisive discussion is that which happens
within the DSP.  If outsiders manage to convince DSP members that the DSP
position is incorrect, then the proper, loyal, course for these DSP members
is to work to change that position.

Is it possible to do this?  If we take Gary MacLennan's word for it, no.

Alan Bradley
alanb at elf.brisnet.org.au