Sorting Out the Enemy

Warwick Kenneth Fry wfry10 at SPAMscu.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 17:38:21 MDT 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Warwick wrote:
> >On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Philip L Ferguson wrote:
> >
> >> Our main task is to find ways to challenge the illusions that workers in
> >> our own countries have about *our* ruling classes, governments and states.
> >
> >That is the most sensible thing I have heard you say - why
> >then can't you see that East Timore *is* destabilising that government,
> >and it *is* challenging the illusions about our ruling classes. I don't
> >know about overseas, but certainly the independent press in Australia is
> >making the point very heavily, that the situation in East Timor is a
> >result of the collusion of the Australian and Indonesian elites.
>
> I think that is called wishful-thinking.  Nothing untoward practically
> happened to the Australian government.  Not only that, the Australian trade
> unions have gone so far as to demand the sending of Aussie 'peace-keepers,'
> which to me shows an enduring illusion about the ruling class entertained
> by unionists.
>
> Yoshie

Yoshie,
        Like the illusions the Australian ruling class entertained about
the Indonesian military ?

        I simply repeat, that the East Timorese seem to have been left out
of much of this analysis.

        And there has always been a strong groundswell of support for the
East Timorese within Australia which (despite Indonesian paranoia) was not
based on anti-Indonesian and chauvinistic nationalist sentiment - this may
not be immediately apparent to the non-Australian listers.

                        Regards
                                Warwick