new age for Aussie imperialism?

Thu Sep 16 03:25:36 MDT 1999

>Yes, the DSP seems to have forgotten that when you call for your ruling
>class to use their troops in the Third World, you are likely to unleash
>some very nasty sentiments against the people inhabiting the country your
>ruling class is teaching a lesson to.
>
>While the Australian intervention puts Jakarta in its place, in terms of
>who really calls the shots in SE Asia, a 'popular' offshoot is likely to be
>an increase in racism towards Indonesians in general.
>
>I am also curious to know what the left, including the DSP, is raising as
>demands now.  For instance, when the Aussie troops land in East Timor, what
>will the DSP slogan be?  Having helped get the imperialist troops there,
>will they have some new demands about what these troops should do?  How
>about this one: 'Don't Stop There!  On to Jakarta!'
>
>In any case, can we assume such further demands will, like the demands for
>intervention, be designed to 'expose' the 'unwillingness' of the Australian
>ruling class to intervene?
>
>Philip Ferguson

At the trade union rally on Tuesday which was smaller than expected, a DSP
speaker mentioned Falantil.  She praised them for not fighting, for as she
put it "keeping their side of the bargain".  She said we should be treat
them well and not disarm them.  There was no call for them to be recognized
as the legitimate liberation forces of East Timor. Perhaps there is some
anxiety about what the Australian army will actually do.

The same army has a record second to none in answering the call of
imperialism, from the Sudan campaign in 1886 to Vietnam in the 60s, the
Diggers have been there and they have helped killed freedom fighters with
the best of them. I wonder does the DSP think somehow that under the
Liberal Coalition Govt of John Howard they have changed their spots?

The problem for the DSP is that they opted for populism rather than
revolutionary politics and now they will be left with the task of
explaining away the inevitably reactionary role of the Australian soldiers.

So what the DSP do now is a moot point. I know this list has embarrassed
them and we move onto the attack in Neighborhood News soon. That will only
worry them in Brisbane however.

Generally their silence around this issue is ominous. It does not speak
well for them that they will not defend their line other than through
proxies or through abuse.