[PEN-L:10916] Fascism

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky nestor at SPAMsisurb.filo.uba.ar
Wed Sep 15 03:00:00 MDT 1999

El 15 Sep 99 a las 11:44, E.C.Apling nos dice(n):

>  Jack London's "Iron Heel", written
> BEFORE the advent of fascism is, within its limitations, a
> better indication of imperialism's predicted actions when
> the ruling class is REALLY afraid of working class power.

Certainly so. London had the insight of what the
_political_ alliance of privileged wage earners and the
bourgeoisie was to forcefully bring about on the long run.

A social democrat himself, in many senses, he nevertheless
described the necessary -yes, necessary in the hardest of
its meanings- consequences of social democrat labor
policies.

More. His "Roaring Beast from the Abyss" is the most
true-to-life picture of what the deprived masses of our
times look like to even many Leftists.

[I have a local experience. London would have been
astonished to know that the depiction fitted almost to the
letter with the feelings aroused by the "primeval"
Argentinian workers on the domestic (and, in this sense we
are speaking of, tame) Left when they made their first and
fierce great appearance on stage in October 17, 1945. And those
workers were the workers who, for a whole year and a half
at least, had been enjoying the high wages generated by the
Secretary of Labor Juan Peron. These workers wore
no ties but this was due to the fact that it was a hot day
and many of them had walked miles and miles to the Plaza de Mayo
(some of them had even swam across the polluted Riachuelo
because the bridges had been closed). But, on the whole,
they were quite civil and reasonably well dressed.

I would pay to see the faces of these Leftists the days the
multitude of toothless, shoeless, hungry, ragged people that are
being bred in the outskirts of today's Buenos Aires gain
the ground for a new, and hopefully definitive, revolution.
Perhaps London's picture will look pale in comparison.]

He was right also in that he thought that, according to
American own ideological traditions, the justification of
the regime would not necessarily be what we would now call
a Fascist discourse, but a slight and pervasive distortion
of American "common man" ideal.

Anyhow, outside America the "fundamentalist with a machine
gun" is a fair picture of what an American Fascism does
_actually_  look like. However, since all that imperialism
is about is _exporting_ these traits, even in the
eventuality that they will have to be reintroduced due to
the next wave of colonial upsurge (which we shall, sooner
or later, witness and -hopefully- be part of) they will be
translated to the deep political traditions of the American
people.

Carrol's question on another email (how will an American
Fascism look like, so we can face it when it actually
comes, if it does come?) may perhaps -and I am very humble on this- begin to
find one of the inroads to the shadow of an answer in my
considerations above.

Am I right, Carrol?

Nestor.