Addendum: Why China Failed to Become Capitalist

Craven, Jim jcraven at SPAMclark.edu
Wed Sep 15 17:39:23 MDT 1999

Hi Barkley,

Since I'm on a roll, let me add to my very partial list of connections
between Imperialism and AIDS, the general commodification of everything
including "science", "scientific" method, the "worthy" subjects of
"Scientific" method and the products of "scientific" method that is a
defining feature of capitalism and imperialism.

In academia it is the "Big Grant"; in news media it is the "Big Scoop"; and
in entertainment it is the "Big Hit" that lead to more exposure; more
exposure leads to more name recognition; more name recognition leads to
preferred access; and preferred access leads to more Big Grants/Scoops/Hits
and the non-linear spiral of SUCKcess continues... Up or Down.

So since there are permissible and career-enhancing--versus taboo and
career-destroying--subjects, scopes/angles of analysis, methodologies,
journals and research organizations, polemics etc, and since AIDS is as
much--if not more-- a socioeconomic, political, cultural and historical
issue as a medical/biological/epidemiological one, effective programs
against AIDS must deal not only with hygiene and at-risk behaviors, they
must deal with some of the very conditions of misery, hopelessness,
ignorance and desperation--that feed AIDS incidences and trends--on which
imperialism relies for cheap wages, high productivities, high rates of
profits and surplus extraction and/or turns a blind eye to in order to keep
anti-communist toady/sycophant regimes in power. To deal with some of the
real causes and consequences of AIDS epidemics, means stepping into the
world of taboo and "career"-destroying subjects, methodologies,
scopes/angles of analysis and calling it as it is. When that is done, as
opposed to simply blaming the victims (stop fucking, use condoms, stop being
so ignorant etc), there goes the access, and then there goes the Big Grant
or publication or "scoop", and then there goes the exposure, and then there
goes the name recognition, and there goes any access and....

Take care,

Jim