Sorting Out the Enemy

Thu Sep 16 08:32:31 MDT 1999

Warwick wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Philip L Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Our main task is to find ways to challenge the illusions that workers in
>> our own countries have about *our* ruling classes, governments and states.
>
>That is the most sensible thing I have heard you say - why
>then can't you see that East Timore *is* destabilising that government,
>and it *is* challenging the illusions about our ruling classes. I don't
>know about overseas, but certainly the independent press in Australia is
>making the point very heavily, that the situation in East Timor is a
>result of the collusion of the Australian and Indonesian elites.

I think that is called wishful-thinking.  Nothing untoward practically
happened to the Australian government.  Not only that, the Australian trade
unions have gone so far as to demand the sending of Aussie 'peace-keepers,'
which to me shows an enduring illusion about the ruling class entertained
by unionists.

Yoshie