Sorting Out the Enemy

David Welch welch at SPAMcwcom.net
Thu Sep 16 03:48:37 MDT 1999

I'd be interested to know exactly how East Timor is destabilizing the
Australian government, have there been mass demonstrations,
anti-government violence, large numbers of recruits to the DSP, ...?
At least in Britain, it has proved possible for many of the crimes of
British imperialism to be exposed without the latest effect on
stability. Tony Blair has apologized for the Irish potato famine, the
current government has set up a new inquiry into Bloody Sunday (the
shooting by the British army of Irish civil rights marchers) which will
probably end by condemning the soldiers involved, there have been recent
television documentaries on the suppression of national liberation
struggles in Kenya and Malaysia, in short it is completely acceptable
among the ruling elite to attack Britain's colonial record and much of its
actions in Ireland. But at the same time there was near consensus over the
war against Yugoslavia.
    It seems a degree of imperial self-criticism as well as the
generational shift from Reagan/Thatcher to Clinton/Blair has proved
remarkably successful in forming a new ideology around imperial
domination, differentiating the new, humanitarian intervention from the
bad, old, anti-communist kind.
    I'm also unconvinced that Australia (or imperialism in general) didn't
want to intervene. After all if Australia wanted Indonesia to hold on to
East Timor why did they allow the referendum to be organized, why did they
allow Suharto to fall? It would seem that imperialism has been closely
involved at every point from the beginning of the Indonesian crisis. I
would agree with the original comment, the intervention in East Timor
should be opposed.