DSP and East Timor

Warwick Kenneth Fry wfry10 at SPAMscu.edu.au
Mon Sep 13 06:08:44 MDT 1999

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Jim Monaghan wrote:

> I would disagree with the DSP on the troops issue though I sympathise with
> the Timorese putting their faith in almost anyone but the generals.Like
> those in the Nazi concentration camps would you care what uniform the
> liberators had at least for a time.
> Gary was right that the Australian gov was the main agent in the USA
> inspired plot anyway.
>
> I know it can be difficult in the superLeninist parties. My own
> experiences have not been great. Though I was on the other side to Gary in
> the LTF/IMT debate. I now see that at least for a long period a party has
> to be loose.No leadership outside the megliamaniacs has the holy grail.If
> the DSP were part of a larger left coalition like the Danish Red-Green
> alliance.There is a need for a vechile that would allow the ideas of those
> like Gary to circulate.
>
> Alas if the Aussies go in they will get a welcome like the Brits initially
> got in Derry.Even now many Republicans, dissidents included, persist with
> illusions in the USA and or the United Nations

        This is bloody nonsense. You are a very disappointing fall-in
stereotype of marxist ideologues that the capitalist media so enjoy
ridiculing. For Christ's sake, the Timorese *people* are being starved,
raped, slaughtered and tortured, and you are niggling about the
'correctness' of Australian troops vs troops of whatever other nationality
might be required to brake an incredibly fascist process. Let's get real.
I strongly doubt that an Australian troop (led) presence (in East timor)
is equivalent to the British presence in Nothern Ireland.

        One of the silver linings of the East Timor cloud is that the
Australian public has been awakened to the  mass deception of successive
governments, and the DSP is not to far wide of the mark in mobilising the
Asutralian people. I have actually been impressed, monitoring a lot of the
talkbat shows, that most of the anger is  not xenophobic, but against the
successive governments which have colluded with the elites.

        Australia is reaping the whirlwind of it's collusion with
fascists. Let us not not judge the *people* who profess an intelligent
anger at this collusion. To judge popular anger on cheap, ignorant,
sectarian motives brings shame on genuine marxist analysis.

        It is so silly, so much an extrapolation of stereotypes to assume
that Astralian presence in the UN intervention in * East Timor* is a
'colonialist' intervention into the affairs of poor little Third World
Indonesia !!!  Hey  - give me a break!

        Al this concern  about the economic and political future of such a
tiny entity as East Timor, but not a bleat on this list about the rape of
this place on this list.

        I am really losing my confidence in the value of armchair marxist
analysis - after many years of commitment - after watching this list. For
Christ's sake, marxist methodology is, ultimately about improving the
human condition. When the armchair theorists of this list can't see the
need for an emergency relief to holocaustic levels of human suffering I
have to wonder.

        it reminds me of the time I was at a central american solidarity
committee meeting and a bunch of IS armchair ideologues walzed in. We gave
them a say, and I very angrily denounced their  smug declaration that the
salvadoran left had failed in 'raising a popular revolution' in the days
the October 1979 coup. I flailed them out of the meeting, having witnessed
the student massacres, the various revolutionary groups who tried to
confront 'tanquetas' with guitars. I witnessed 40 students being shot
downed in cold blood. I supported the Salvadoran revolution because of
this experience for every year since this event, and I am sure Gary feels
the same about the Irish experience  - but I feel very angry about the
persons on this list who prevaricate around theory without recognising the
necessity to confront fascist effects on very real human suffering.

                Depressedly yours

                                Wf

 It is difficult to come up with a realistic alternative, I am sure the