Fascism

Craven, Jim jcraven at SPAMclark.edu
Mon Sep 13 11:29:34 MDT 1999

"Only one thing could have broken our movement: if the adversary had
understood its principle and from the first day had smashed with extreme
brutality the nucleus of our new movement."
Adolf Hitler (Speech to Nuremberg Congress, September 3, 1933)

"I am afraid of those who proclaim that it can't happen here. In 1935
Sinclar Lewis wrote a popular novel in which a racist, anti-Semitic,
flag-waving, army-backed demagogue wins the 1936 presidential election and
proceeds to establish an Americanized version of Nazi Germany. The title,
"It Can't Happen Here", was a tongue-in-cheek warning that it might. But the
'it' Lewis referred to is unlikely to happen again any place. Even in
today's Germany, Italy or Japan, a modern-style corporate state or society
would be far different from the old regimes of Hitler, Mussolini, and the
Japanese oligarchs. Anyone looking for black shirts, mass parties, or men on
horseback will miss the telltale clues of creeping fascism. In any First
World country of advanced capitalism, the new fascism will be colored by
national and cultural heritage, ethnic and religious composition, formal
political structure, and geopolitical environment. The Japanese and German
versions would be quite different from the Italian variety--and still more
different from the British, French, Beligan, Dutch, Australian, Canadian, or
Israeli versions. In America, it would be supermodern and multi-ethnic--as
American as Madison Avenue, executive luncheons, credit cards and apple pie.
It would be fascism with a smile. As a warning against its cosmetic facade,
subtle manipulation, and velvet gloves, I call it friendly fascism. What
scares me most is its subtle appeal." ( p. 3)
(Bertram Gross, Friendly Fascism: The New Face of Power in America, South
End Press, Boston, 1980)

Jim Craven

James Craven
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.