Re(2): East Timor

Sun Sep 12 16:02:34 MDT 1999

> From: Jim Monaghan
> If the generals had waited
> a little and had Sukarnos daughter in the Presidential palace with some
> left anti imperialist rhetoric would we be seeing the East Timor
> independence struggle as an Imperialist plot.

Some of us apparently see it as an Imperialist plot now!

I think that those who have been paying attention to this movement for
years and years would not have turned their back on the Timorese under
these circumstances.  Of course, they would have been pilloried for this.

I doubt we will be seeing any left anti-imperialist rhetoric from Megawati
Sukarnoputri.  At best, you might get the rightist, Mahathir version, but I
doubt even that will happen.

Alan Bradley
alanb at elf.brisnet.org.au