marxism-digest V1 #1360

Sun Sep 26 01:27:07 MDT 1999

>>But there is a difference between
demanding that one's own state protects the rights it purports to
extend to its citizens, such as the right to strike, protection from
goon squads etc, and calling for imperialist intervention in another
country. <<

I keep seeing this sort of idea asserted, but nobody seems willing to state
just what the difference is.

The Australian or American state is no less a bourgeois imperialist state
when acting at "home" than when acting "abroad." And it certainly has no
more "right" to intervene against, for example, Native peoples and the
Puerto Ricans (in the case of the Americans) than they do to act in East
Timor. So what is the "difference" exactly?

Certainly the American State is no more "ours" than the United Nations
belongs to the Timorese. Why is it wrong for the people of Timor to demand
that the UN  protect the rights it purports to extend to them, the right to
self-determination and independence, but right for us to demand that "our"
state protect the rights it purports to grant us?

Moreover, this is tending to get written at a very high level of
abstraction, but in the U.S., for example, it has been precisely oppressed
national minorities who have demanded that federal troops be sent. When
Blacks in the south raised this demand, they didn't even have the right to
vote, never mind eating lunch at the five and dime, and lynchings were just
going out of fashion. So reading the bit about "its citizens" makes me
cringe. It is a lie to say that American Blacks in the South were "citizens"
of the United States, not without a lot of heavy-duty explanation and
qualification.

I keep trying to write this as carefully as I can but it seems to be going
over people's heads. What I was pointing to in the cases of the South and
Boston is NOT a demand that revolutionaries projected as their own, or urged
the working class to take up as its own, but rather a demand by the Black
community that revolutionaries supported and urged the working class as a
whole to support.

And certainly in the case of East Timor, everything I've seen and read
indicates that the independence movement demanded that a UN force be sent to
stop the pogrom and uphold the results of the referendum.

I know comrades are reacting to the DSP's position, which is fairly easy to
lampoon, but let's get real shall we? The big majority of the revolutionary
movement on a world scale is going to look at the Timorese demand for a UN
force and support, not the DSP's "Australia in now" campaign, but the demand
by the independence movement of East Timor. The idea of campaigning AGAINST
what the Timorese have been demanding is simply not an attractive one.

Jose

Jose

Jose