Nina Simone

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Sat Sep 25 07:58:03 MDT 1999

>George: I have beeb just listening to a CD of Nina Simone's. She is a
performer that
>impresses me. My favoiurite track on the CD Wild is the Wind. In this love
song her voice
>expresses great emotional depth and breadth.
>
>I wonder whehter there any Nina Simone sites.Do you know much about her/
>
>Warm regards
>George Pennefather

Very spooky. The minute I opened this email, Nina Simone was singing Duke
Ellington's "I got it bad and that ain't good" on WFMU, an alternative
radio station in NYC. Nina Simone, for comrade's information, is a very
great African-American singer-pianist who enjoyed her greatest popularity
in the 1960s. She has a passionate contralto voice and is a unique stylist.
Along with Charlie Mingus, she was one of the first black musicians to
begin using her performances to denounce segregation in the south. Her
"Mississippi Goddamn" is a classic.

>From an interview that appears on a top-notch website on Nina:
http://www.boscarol.com/nina/
Q: Maybe if you lived in America instead of the south of France, you'd have
more knowledge of your current popular resurgence here.