Not Replying to Paul

Sat Sep 25 15:37:41 MDT 1999

>From: Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org>
>To: marxism at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Not Replying to Paul
>Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:01:40 -0800
>

>Gary MacLennan wrote:
>
> > Paul,
> >
> > This is the dialogue of the deaf.  I simply cannot debate matters out
>with
> > people whose position is so plainly close to pyschotic.
>
>Do you know any deaf people??  Are they psychotic?This is an example of
>outrageous slander against a whole class of persons - the deaf, in case you
>hadn't noticed.
>I know plenty of deaf people and believe me, they know how to dialogue.
>Marta Russell

Marta- I am almost deaf. I do not feel in the slightest offended. I
understood what Phil was getting at, and if Paul has said it to Phil (seeing
as I agree with Phil on this one), I would still not be offended. Political
correctness was an innovation at one point. Yet now, it has become a way of
destroying dialogue. For example, if you try to discuss Native issues, as
recently happened with me at work, political correctness dictates there
should be a "moral intervention" to determine what white people should refer
to Indians as. After a long period of nonsense about labels, the discussion
was over, and not one tiny piece of progress was made in discussing the
burning social issues that need far more discussion. Instead, we walked away
with our own interpretations of what term we would like the genocide
supporting newspaper to use in reference to their intended victims. This
might be fun for liberals, but we should be calling attention to the real
questions.

Macdonald

How many times have I wondered if it really possible to forge links with a
mass of people when one has never had strong feelings for anyone, not even
one's own parents; if it is possible to have a collectivity when one has not
been deeply loved oneself by individual human creatures. Hasn't this had
some effect on my life as a militant- has it not tended to make me sterile
and reduce my quality as a revolutionary by making everything a matter of
pure intellect, of pure mathematical calculation?
       ---Antonio Gramsci, 1926.