Reply to Jose

Jonathan Flanders jon_flanders at SPAMcompuserve.com
Fri Sep 24 21:17:57 MDT 1999

>> Jose, defending Aussie imperialism in East Timor does not become you. <<

Has Jose actually called for the use of Australian troops? He seems to be
defending the right of the people of East Timor to call for help from the
UN. I personally don't question their right to do that. But it is one thing
to have the "right" to do that, and quite another matter to actually do it,
given that countries like Cuba don't run the organization.

The problem is that the in  Australia, calling for UN intervention *is* in
reality calling for Australian troops. What the DSP and its friends should
have done is to call for cutting off all military aid to Indonesia. Allan
Nairn and others have said that if that had happened immediately after the
referendum, the orgy of killing in Dili never would have happened.

Winning this demand would really have helped the people of East Timor, and
exposed the complicity of the Australian state with the Indonesian
military. The DSP position has done neither.

Incidentally, Amy Goodman of Pacifica Radio's Democracy Now just spoke at a
Siena College meeting here this week. My wife attended it. Over 250 turned
out.

 Jon Flanders