New biography of Marx

Mon Sep 27 15:20:49 MDT 1999

Yes, Russell, I have read Kapp's two volume bio. Engels favorite expression was "Take
it easy". Eleanor used to tease her father about having two brains ( dialectician , I
guess) . Marx's favorite color was red , (ha ha). Marx also had the nickname of
"Charlie". I know about "Moor", afterall, he was Semitic.  Marx visited North Africa
at the end of his life.

And of course, Marx had a child with Lenchen, and Engels claimed it as his until on
his death bed. Marx's living descendents are from this son.

Charles Brown

>>> Russell Grinker <grinker at mweb.co.za> 09/27/99 03:10PM >>>
An interesting point is that Marx himself had such a dark complexion that he
was known as Mohr or "the Moor" by close members of his family.  All this
and more is well covered in Yvonne Kapp's two biographies of Eleanor Marx
(pub. Lawrence & Wishart), which as has been mentioned before on this list,
is definitely required reading for anyone wanting to know more about Marx
the man.

Russell

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us>
To: marxism at lists.panix.com <marxism at lists.panix.com>
Date: Monday, September 27, 1999 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: New biography of Marx

>Charles, yours truly, writes:
>
>I read a letter from Marx to Engels in the collected works in which Marx
calls Ferdinand Lasalle (spelling ?) a "Jewish nigger" after Lasalle had
been a house guest for a few days. Marx recites a number of stereotypical
prejudicial observations regarding Lasalle's personality.

>I wonder if Lasalle was actually Black, since he had quite a following in
the European revolutionary movement, n'est-ce pas ?  Probably was.

> At one point Engels was trying to unite the Lasalleans and other sections
as the Left in the German SDL Party, I believe. Thus, despite the sharp
criticisms of Lasalle by Marx and Engels ( the substantive ones), Lasalle
had some effectiveness as an activist.