[L-I] Re: Turkey and Islamic Capitalism (with an addenda on the Balkans)

Tue Aug 1 06:01:38 MDT 2000

Hi, all,

Johannes raises an important issue here, important because it brings
to debate the problem of the territorial division of labour within a
country, and the dangers that may lie within it from the point of
view of a Third World country where the menace from outside is -sadly-
 too real to be dismissed. I am too short of time now, but I will
just add a few remarks.

En relación a Re: [L-I] Re: Turkey and Islamic Capitalism (with,
el 1 Aug 00, a las 11:12, Johannes Schneider dijo:

> IMHO the relationship of all of the
> former Yugoslavia (mainly Serbia proper, Croatia and Slovenia) with
> Kosovo had aspects of a colonial relationship: E.g. capital export to
> Kosovo, concentration of the industry in mining, remainders of
> substitence in agriculture, export of work force.

In my opinion, which is admittedly unsubstantiated, there was no such
colonial relationship. But I would rather discuss a more general
issue, which is the framework for our debate, and this is the problem
of uneven development within the boundaries of a country.

Just to spark the whole thing, two examples:

a) the Basque or Catalonian bourgeoisies, in Spain, have many times
tended to gather around themselves the popular masses by screaming
against the "colonialism of Madrid". It is more or less as if the
Boston bourgeoisie tried to gather the Mass. working masses by
denouncing the "colonialism of Washington".

b) from time to time, there appear in Third World countries (usually
in areas holding important natural resources which are an interesting
bite for some imperialist country or other) "anticolonial" movements
which request that the portion of the country manage its "own"
natural resources free from colonialism from the central city. I can
give at least two examples from Argentina (connected with oil), but
will rather give a more serious one, that of Panama, which was cut
off Colombia on the grievance that Bogotá was a "colonial" metropolis
and that Panamanians wanted to enjoy the benefits of the oceanic pass
for themselves.

The results, as could be expected, are always the same: after the
old, "domestic", colonizing "power" is set aside, true colonialism
appears.

My country is a semi-colonial country. It is my duty to have things
very clear on these issues. And I would say that Yugoslavia has been
turned into a semi-colonial country too. Maybe same laws apply, to
put it in a language Engels would have liked.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar