AW: Request to mailing list Crashlist rejected

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Wed Aug 2 10:59:46 MDT 2000

Xxxx wrote:

>but, hey, isn't it normal that when you send an administrative request to any
>list, it will be rejected. If were to unsubsribe from marxism list, I would
>send  my request to majordomo at lists. panix.com (or whatever), not
>marxism at lists. panix.com. Are  administrative and mailing addresses the
same in
>crashlist? I am sure you could have unsubscribed, if you had followed the
>procedure. if you want the moderator to unsubscribe you, this is another
thing,
>though..

The problem is that the info page listed in each Crashlist message does not
really provide for unsubscribing. You need to supply a password, which
apparently people were not ever supplied. Not only is it wrong to sub
people without their knowledge, it doubly wrong to make unsubbing so
laborious. I should add that Mark just unsubbed from the Marxism list.
Although he is a close friend and somebody I regard as one of the deeper
thinkers on four continents, I had to take exception to his functioning
around Crashlist. It does not give revolutionary politics a good name when
you have dozens of people over a span of days complaining bitterly about
being put on mailing list without their approval and then making it
difficult for them to unsub.

Louis Proyect