The Adolf Hitler Award in Jewish Studies

Julio Pino jpino at SPAMkent.edu
Thu Aug 3 09:27:32 MDT 2000

>Dear Julio! I am still trying to digest this shocking news. Can you please
send
>more info on this?
>Ahhh!!
>

>Mine: Here is the entire text of the application for the MacNamara
Award.That this monster who helped kill 2-3 million Vietnamese should have
an award named for him shows Orwellian de-memorization is well at work in
the USA. I say let's re-name it the Ngyuen Van Troi award.

Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program
Applicant Information:  2001 Cycle

Introduction

        The Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program was established in 1982 to
honor the former President of the World Bank.  The Program annually awards
Fellowships to support innovative and imaginative post-graduate research in
areas of socioeconomic development – specifically focusing on issues
critical to improving the lives of the most vulnerable in society.  To
date, 205 Fellowships have been awarded, spanning issues related to health
and population, education of girls, environmental conservation,
agricultural and infrastructure development, conflict resolution, the role
of NGOs in development, trade and tax reforms, poverty reduction, and
institutional and regulatory reform.

        The Program’s funding comes from an investment income earned from an
endowment fund set up by contributions from the World Bank and the
governments of Bangladesh, China, India, Kuwait, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru,
and Yugoslavia.

        Fellowships are open to applicants who are nationals of, and residents in,
countries which are currently eligible to borrow from the World Bank.  The
research must be carried out in the applicant's own country, or country of
residence at the time of application.  This Program does not provide
financial support for an advanced degree (this includes field work for a
Ph.D. degree).

Length of Fellowship: Fellowships are awarded for a period of  twelve
months and must be commenced within three months of the award being made.
The fellowships cannot be extended or deferred.

Amount of Award:  The amount of the award is US$7,500.  This is a standard
amount, intended to cover the cost of the research and its dissemination,
and is not negotiable.  No other costs will be considered.

Research Theme for the 2001 Fellowships Cycle: Sustainable Development

Sustainable development poses important questions as to how economic growth
is conceived and managed through incentives and regulation.  Increasing the
production of goods and services is imperative to meet our poverty
alleviation objectives and the desire of populations everywhere to improve
their standards of living.  But current growth patterns have already placed
a heavy strain on the environment that threatens the medium and longer term
sustainability of these production systems (e.g., water stress, land
degradation, harmful air and water pollution).  Nearly all of the expected
increase in the world’s population of 2 billion in the next 25 years will
occur in developing countries. If we succeed in our growth objectives,
total production in these countries will more than triple and per capita
consumption more than double.  The stresses on the environment and on the
fabrics of our economies and societies will greatly increase.  The
challenge is how to make sure that this development is sustainable:
economically, socially, and environmentally.  The Program invites research
proposals  (3-4 pages in length) that address one of the following aspects
of this challenge:

1.      Sustainable Technologies

Recent revolutions in communications and information systems and strategic
decisions by environmentally concerned companies (primarily in developed
countries) offer exciting opportunities to increase output, jobs, and
welfare while placing less stress on the environment and consuming fewer
inputs.  By adopting such technologies, developing countries have the
opportunity to leapfrog over some of the more costly stages of development
and move directly to higher quality and more sustainable development paths.
In your country; what are the most promising opportunities to absorb
sustainably oriented technological progress, what is needed to create the
incentives and structure to encourage rapid adoption of these technologies,
and how could such a program be put in place?

2.      Urbanization

Populations of developing country cities will increase by about 2 billion
in the next 25 years, and they will host the bulk of economic development.
Most of these urban areas already face serious problems of congestion, lack
of basic services, and pollution, which seriously impact the poorest.  The
expected increase in population and activity will require massive
investments in infrastructure – roads, housing, and utilities – and
provision of critical services – health, education, water and sanitation.
These investments will, in turn, shape the activity and quality of life in
those cities for a long time.  It is possible to make the cities more
livable through effective planning and community action (e.g., Curitiba,
Brazil), and improved urban life is essential to both poverty alleviation
and sustainability.  In your country or city, identify and carefully
analyze two or three cases where well-designed plans or programs are
significantly improving the quality of urban life (particularly for the
poor).  What have been the requirements to design and build popular support
for these programs, and how have they been implemented? Also identify how
those successful experiences can be efficiently disseminated to other
communities for replication and scaling-up.

3.      Community-based Natural Resource Management

The use of natural resources requires that such resources be managed
sustainably and effectively.  Experience has shown that a sustainable and
effective management of the natural resources cannot be attained without
the participation of the communities where the resources are located. In
your country, identify and carefully analyze two to three cases where
initiatives on Community-based Natural Resource Management, that had been
implemented in accordance with the country's  overall policy framework,
have proven to be beneficial to the community , especially in terms of
economically, socially and environmentally sustainable development.  Also
identify how those successful experiences can be efficiently disseminated
to other communities for replication and scaling-up.

Output:  Fellows are expected to issue two progress reports, a research
abstract during the fellowship year and a final report containing the
results of the research at the end of the fellowship year.  The final
reports are reviewed by World Bank staff.  The World Bank has first rights
on publication of these materials.

Note: The final research product will be considered for publication in the
Policy Research Working Paper Series at the World Bank and will be used as
background material for the World Development Report 2002/03.

Seminar Participation:  A seminar is organized for the Fellows during the
Fellowship year in Washington, DC.

Eligibility

Applicants must meet the following general criteria to be eligible for a
fellowship award:

Be a national and resident of a World Bank member country which is
currently eligible to borrow;
Normally, candidates should be 35 years old or younger.  However, the
Program has interpreted this requirement with flexibility in the past and
will consider exceptional candidates up to age 40;
Must have completed and been awarded at least a Master's degree, or
equivalent, at the time of application.
Note: Applicants with a Master's, but working towards a doctorate, may
apply, but must have been awarded the degree before being allowed to take
up a Fellowship;
Must carry out the research under the auspices of an academic supervisor in
a host institution.

Application Procedures

        All applications must be submitted with the required documentation on the
correct application forms.  Forms for the 2001 cycle are available from all
World Bank Resident Missions  and from the McNamara Fellowships Program
office at World Bank Headquarters in Washington, DC.  All requests for
application forms should quote our reference:  RSM/01/1. (Failure to do so
may result in delays in receiving the forms).

To be considered for the 2001 cycle, all completed application forms must
be received in Washington, DC, by August 15, 2000.  Late applications will
not be considered. The awards will be announced in November 2000.

Applications and correspondence may be sent to:
Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program
The World Bank
1818 H St. NW
                                Washington DC, 20433, USA

The Program Office can also be contacted at:
email: rsm_fellowships at worldbank.org
fax: (202) 522-4036