The (Marxian)Planet of the Apes

Kevin Lindemann and Cathy Campo kklcac at SPAMearthlink.net
Thu Aug 3 18:48:03 MDT 2000

Julio Pino wrote:

>Wilson, a victim of the Hollywood
>Blacklist, wrote an adaptation of Pierre Boulle's 1962 novel, "Monkey
>Planet"....Specifically, Wilson re-wrote the
story to suit his own left-wing politics.

Does anyone know anything about Pierre Boulle's politics?

*Planet of the Apes* reminds me of a story that Armand Hammer told about
Lenin. Hammer gave Lenin a small bronze statue by Hugo Rheinhold, "The
Monkey." It's a bronze monkey, in the pose of Rodin's "The Thinker,"
sitting on a pile of books (one of which is by Darwin), contemplating a
human skull. Hammer thought Lenin would find the piece amusing, but when
he received it, Lenin thoughtfully said something along the lines of,
"If we don't eliminate war, that's what we'll have: a world inherited by
apes!"

I wonder whether Boulle or Wilson knew that story.

(For more on Reinhold's "Monkey," including a picture of the one on
Lenin's desk, see
http://www.countway.med.harvard.edu/bml/highlights/rheinhold.html).

--Kevin Lindemann