Hobsbawm and the Analitic History

Sat Aug 5 07:45:17 MDT 2000

En relación a Re: Hobsbawm and the Analitic History,
el 5 Aug 00, a las 0:26, Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx dijo:

> Nestor, what are you saying below? I  am dying to learn.. lovely
> language, but understood a litte..
>
> au revoir..
>
> Xxxx

Thanks for the opinion on Spanish, Xxxx. No language is lovelier than
any other, but it is always nice to be cuddled a little. Sorry I did
not answer in English, yesterday night I was so tired ("fusilado",
that is "shot down" we say here). Since Ivonaldo understands Spanish,
I decided to write in Spanish. Fast translation follows. There is
nothing very important in "what I say here", your comments are much
more accurate. But, just to please you (and bore the rest of the
list), here it goes... A display of Latin machismo trying to please
an idolized young lady:

Dear Ivonaldo,

Last things first:

Jim is actually doing a favor to all of us when he quotes his bibliography.
I know that some of his positions (and of his character) are contestable, but his
criticism to Hobsbawm on the national question is truly flawless and an example
of Leninist analysis.

Secondly, Hobsbawm is a great master of Great History, full honors. But this
does not bring him a bit nearer to understanding the national question; this is
precisely why his best work on this issue belongs to the formative age of
nationalities in Europe. [Now that I translate, I discover a mistake:
I should have written "the age of the constitution of the great
national states in Western Europe"].

He recently visited Argentina, and consciously or unconsciously he made
part of tie imperialist-globalizating offensive [much in the way of our homespun
Ernesto Laclau, BTW, adds the translator]. This is the bitter truth. I do still
delight in reading Industry and empire, The bourgeois revolutions and that
little jewel known as Primitive rebels. But I agree with Jim in
that if we take him out of the history of Europe during the
19th.Century (that is, the period that precedes imperialism) Eric
Hobsbawm does not understand the national question.

It is precisely BECAUSE of his intellectual achievements, I repeat,
that he must be criticized. And since you do not accept Jim to
commend his own bibliography to you [translator adds here: to Latins,
this tends to sound as too egolatric], then I will do it myself. In
the archives of the L-I list [and in the resource pages of the
website] there are things by Jim that you will certainly find
interest in.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar