Marxism list website redesign

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Sun Aug 6 10:11:20 MDT 2000

I just uploaded a new version of the Marxism list website that I invite
comrades to review at http://www.marxmail.org. It incorporates a number of
visual and content changes, including the following:

1. Archives:
It was too much of a financial burden to try to maintain a year's worth of
messages. Since www.mail-archives.com has proven reliable, this will serve
as the main repository of our archives. Even though I registered with them
in January of this year, we still had five months worth of postings from
August to December 1999 that had to be added to their database in order to
have a complete history. Les Schaffer took it upon himself to develop a
computer program to convert these archives into a mail-archives.com
compatible format and we owe him a round of applause.

Now that we have freed up space on the directories of the Marxism website,
it has become possible to make the original 'manual' archives available.
Before we began maintaining electronic archives, I would select 'the best'
of each month's postings and organize them by topic. They are once again
available and are a good introduction to the list. They begin in May 1998,
when the list was launched, and end in July 1999, before we went 'electronic'.

2. Home Page:
The home page will now have links to posts that I describe as "highlights".
Since the home page is the first thing somebody sees when they visit
marxmail.org, I wanted to put our best foot forward. Included in August
highlights are posts by José on Nicaragua, Lou Paulsen on Nigeria, Henry on
Hiroshima/Nagasaki, etc. I intend to save each month's highlights and make
them available from the home page in a pick list. The home page will also
include a brief description of additions to the links section for the
current month.

3. Graphics:
I have begun to work with some interesting software from Adobe called
ImageReady, the results of which should be apparent in the home page,
archive and subscription pages. In the course of developing the Marxism
mailing list website, I will be working with all sorts of software that
serve as a took kit for web development--including Java and Flash at some
point, which are designed for animation. I have to say, however, that I am
going to take a hard look at these sorts of products before unleashing them
on the website. Since the Marxism list web site will be accessed by people
in third world countries on an ongoing basis, we need to make sure that
bandwidth is not wasted on frills.

4. Art Gallery:
I just added 3 satirical portraits of T.E. Lawrence, George Meany and
Margaret Thatcher by Doyle Saylor. And excellent work it is.

Finally, I would mention that as part of my commitment to making the
website useful and attractive, I have been studying design theory as well
as software. It is really interesting to see how something as 'neutral' as
typography can be mobilized as a force for social change. I have been going
through Jan Tschichold's "The New Typography," which was written in 1928 as
part of the overall effort of German art radicals to transform society.
Taken into 'protective custody' by the Nazis in 1933, Tschichold fled to
Switzerland where he continued to evolve his design concepts. In a separate
post, I will include some of his most interesting writing and an example of
his work.

Louis Proyect