replying to Ivonaldo was Re: Hobsbawm and the Analitic History

Sun Aug 6 18:30:55 MDT 2000

I am not wrong at all.  The Maoist position on Ireland was a Two Nations
one.  This had it that there was a Protestant nation that had the right to
self determination and its birth in 1922 signalled the end of the
anti-Imperialist struggle in Ireland.  This is deeply wrong and
anti-Marxist.  But one could expect nothing more from British Maosists.

Unfortunately in my original post I combined this point in the same
sentence about LM pro-modernity. I had hoped that the brackets would
indicate that these were separate points. My fault that I over estimated
the reading capacity of some on this list.

BTW I am quite aware of LM's position on Ireland and the IRA. Of course it
is also factual that LM are pro modernity.

Moreover Russell my point about always being on the side of Spartacus comes
from a late article by Trotsky.  See Deutscher V3. It is here that Trotsky
becomes most intesting because he confronts the possibility that the evil
aspect of modernity will triumph.  His answer is an unconditional
commitment to the slave.

So where am I wrong, pray tell?

Gary