To Mine was Re: replying to Ivonaldo was Re: Hobsbawm and theAnalitic History

Sun Aug 6 20:04:32 MDT 2000

Hi Mine,

I have put in a post replying to Russell.  That should clear up my
reference to LM.  But let me make it clear just in case.  I do not support
what I regard as LM's unquestioning love for modernity.  I think this is
something they share with Hobsbawm by the way.

I am convinced this is a vulgar reading of the Manifesto especially the
truly brilliant pages on the revolutionary nature of Capitalism.

I think we Marxists should strive for a non-capitalist modernity. That to
me means a commitment to technological progress which is mediated by an
equal commitment to the freedom of each and all. Again for me that requires
an ethical commitment something which Marx himself was unwilling to develop
despite being continually outraged by what he saw happening to the working
class.

Now in my post to Russell I indicated that Trotsky had some doubts about
the progress of modernity. I was very struck here by Mark's comments on
Lenin's wish to commit suicide. The common theme I construct from these two
moments is the despair of the old revolutionary Bolsheviks that they had
failed to create a non-capitalistic modernity and had instead only
facilitated the progress of capitalist modernity.

Let me remind people that I was replying to Brian Cahill's use of the
phrase 'doomed class' when referring to the peasants.

regards

Gary