Forwarded from Gregory Mitrovich

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Tue Aug 8 11:53:48 MDT 2000

Dear Mr. Proyect:

I would like to bring to your attention my new book "Undermining the Kremlin:
American Strategy to Subvert the Soviet Bloc, 1947-1956" which, I think might
be of interest to you.

Supported by thousands of recently declassified documents I demonstrate that
the objective of the United States was not merely the containment of Soviet
expansion, but the overthrow of the Soviet government itself.  I do so,
however, in a manner quite different from other books on this topic for I
demonstrate that the motivation for this policy emerged within the State
Department and National Security Council (and to lesser extents the
Department of Defense and Joint Chiefs of Staff) and not just the CIA.
Furthermore, the list of officials that were involved in these actions is
stunning: George Kennan was only one figure involved in this effort (though
clearly very important).  Equally significant were the policies conceived by
Paul Nitze and Charles Bohlen from 1950-1952 the period when US covert
efforts against the Soviet bloc reached their apogee.  In addition, I
demonstrate how these officials were even prepared to risk nuclear war to
achieve their ambitions.

If your are interested in more information regarding my book please consult
Columbia University professor Robert Legvold's review on p. 158 of the
May-June issue of Foreign Affairs, Andrew Nagorski's review in the 8 May
issue of Newsweek International and the link to Amazon.com  below. Thank you
very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Gregory Mitrovich, Ph.D.,
National Security Fellow
Olin Institute for Strategic Studies
Harvard University
(617) 864-2593

<A
HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0801437113/qid%3D965755851/103-17
69132-5013434">Click here: Amazon.com: buying info: Undermining the Kremlin :
America's Strategy to Subvert the Soviet Bloc, 1947-1956 (Corne</A>

Louis Proyect