Trafficking of Afghan Women from Kabul

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Wed Aug 9 13:29:05 MDT 2000

>From Revolutionary Afghan's Women's Association

Trafficking of Afghan Women
from Kabul

By Willi Germund
Frankfurter Rundschau
Jan.7,1999

 "What we decide about the fundamentals of Islam is our internal religious
affair. No one may interfere, and no one can dictate to us  how we treat our
women," Mullah Hassan warned.

Within the terrirory it controls the Taleban forces all women to  wear a burqa,
which begins as a veil and covers the entire body in heavy, bulky material; the
woman wearing one can only see the outside world through a narrow gap
surrounding the eyes, which is covered with a thin lace-like material. They are
not allowed to  accept paid employment. Girls may not attend school, let alone
university.

But the mullahs like commerce - so even if women are not free, the trade in them
is to some considerable extent.

Miaz Mohammad is a merchant dealing in everything from radios  to refrigerators
in Chaman, a city on the Pakistani border. When  the other customers had left
the shop, he was prepared to speak in  confidence.

"There are too many women in Kabul," he explained. "Pakistanis come here to pay
90,000 rupees (about 1,800 dollars) for women from Kabul. The women think they
are getting a husband, but the Pakistanis only want them for a few months' worth
of fun."

--

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx
PhD Student