Jihad and Revolution in Chechnya

Fri Aug 11 06:42:25 MDT 2000

> From: "Macdonald Stainsby"
> when an insurrection is being put down "for the right reasons" it stays
> out of our press almost entirely.  Hence I never saw a story on Kurds in
> Turkey, but here of them in Iraq repeatedly, never saw a story on East
> Timor until the occupation of it by the UN was desired, etc.

The situation in Australia with East Timor was different.  There was a
fairly regular stream of articles on why East Timor should stay part of
Indonesia, and how the solidarity movement were encouraging the East
Timorese in a delusion, and how the human rights situation was improving,
and so on.

To a large extent, this was a result of the solidarity movement being so
active here:  it couldn't just be ignored.

I could see the silence in the Canadian and US press contributing to the
misunderstanding of the situation seen last year.  It may have just looked
like another imperialist beatup.

It wasn't.

Alan Bradley
alanb at elf.brisnet.org.au