[Re: Jihad and Revolution in Chechnya]

sev sev at SPAMcyberia.net.lb
Sat Aug 12 08:41:43 MDT 2000

Dear Comrade Abu Nasr:
    It seems u have totally misunderstood me or my poor english!
    Sufism is mystical and sufis are Muslims. There are lot of Sufi orders
and yes it is based on personal experience of the person who is to be guided
by the murshid (i think that's what he is called) through the direct and
correct path, ie tariqat.
    Scholars agree that the term Islamism means the Fundamentalism or
radicalism of Islam...call it anything u like..actually there are alot of
labels...but it is by convention that Islamism is the ism of Islam (i said
sufis hate islamism, and u quoted me wrong!) .Sufists are
depoliticized...true they have fought in national struggles and i mentioned
that....to answer why would be to go deep into circumstances of the time and
where this special struggle was taking place......but Sufis are
depoliticized...we should agree on that... Islam is din wa dawlah..ie
religion and state...Sufis are secular towards the State..and reject an
Islamic state like that of KSA or Iran...or that's what i thought..i hope
u'll correct me
    Actually, the internet provides us with alot of information...alot of
Chechen official and unofficial sites have put pictures and
interviews...look at them and then compare them with the Mujahideen who
fought in Afghanistan....i'll even send u the names of organizations which
are present....
    do u think imam shamil or the other 2 would have been accepted if they
have not fought wars? ohh fundamentalism does not only dislike sufism...but
it has called for many Jihads against them....
    you assume that Chechnya is an islamic country with an islamic society
etc...and hence the soil of local islamic movements...can u name me some
local islamist movements?..or even better, name me any movement during the
Soviet era...or even before 1920!...or trace some non-Sufi islamic presence
in the social institutions or the society at large in chechnya...
    my conclusions are subjective...that i know...but i'm drawing my
conclusions from the data available to me...i hope u'll support your
arguments...because i want to c if i'm right in my analysis or wrong....
    Let us look at the picture from a better standpoint and try and
understand the facts before categorizing them as straight or deviant.