a quick query

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sun Aug 13 10:20:53 MDT 2000

For this, you may wish to see  Kees Pijl's book _The Making of an Atlantic
Ruling Class_, p.14,   (the section on "The Pre-capitalist critique"). At times,
definitely, Roman Catholic Church joined the ranks of fascism and anti-semite
conspiracy, but we have to look at the political economy behind it instead of
naming individuals. Church's anti-semitism was partly related to the ideology of
"anti-chrematism-- the hatred of money lenders",  which  even dated back to
Church's practices in the Middle ages, and later acquired its "modern
ideological representation" as a  conspiracy of international finance capital
personified by Jews.  Pijl says;

"Hence, in Roman catholic countries and regions, as well as with those of
lutheran predominance, a critique of money capital from the standpoint of rural
economy and tinged with parochialism and anti-semitism became part of the
secular culture.In the early decades of the 19th century the Vatican allowed
interests to be raised to the legal level, but still as late as 1950, the Pope
felt it necessary to officially declare that "bankers earn their livelihood
honestly".Meanwhile, the calvinist position which allowed a functional role to
money capital and was critical of  usury properly speaking, had emigrated to
North America with the Puritans. The church of England had also early on,in the
mid 16th century, adopted a protestant attitude in this matter when it let the
government decide the maximum rate of interest"

"Fascism and in some respect Gaullism and Christian democracy as well, for all
their differences drew on this sources and to the extend they did, deserve their
qualification as reactionary.at the same time, these political tendencies
included the productive capital concept properly speaking, as productive capital
was the dominant faction opposing  liberal internationalism. whether industrial
capital was able to assert its interests directly or depended on the
mobilization of pre-capitalist populism hinged on the outcome of class struggles
in each concrete situation, especially on the role of pre-capitalist landed
classes" (p.15)

Colin wrote:

Have a look at John Cornwell's recent book, "Hitler's Pope". Written by
someone who wanted to prove that Pope Pius XII wasn't as bad as he's been
painted. In his research, he realised the truth was far worse. Lots of
quotes and examples that prove his point.

Colin

----------
> From: Gary MacLennan <g.maclennan at qut.edu.au>
> To: marxism at lists.panix.com
> Subject: a quick query
> Date: 13 August 2000 02:01
>
> I have got embroiled with several Romans over my prolog to the Catholic
> Worker pamphlet.  Can anyone help me with the sources for my remark that
> the Pope instructed or at least advised the Catholic members of
Parliament

--

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx
PhD Student