Talking to Christians was Re: To CYeats was Re: a quick query

Gary Maclennan g.maclennan at SPAMqut.edu.au
Sun Aug 13 21:49:10 MDT 2000

Hi Christopher,

Relating to Christians is a tricky thing.  I once had a book that detailed
Ernst Bloch's discussions with radical Protestant theologians.  From memory
Bloch emphasised the figure of Prometheus as against Christ.  Very interesting.

I also have a book by Garaudy of the French Communist Party, but have never
gotten around to reading it.  I also have a little rare pamphlet on a
Catholic Communist seminar in Melbourne in 1944.  given the later
anti-communism that the Church played such a role in it is interesting to
note that th4e Church here was unsure which way to jump during WW2

The other great 'meeting' of Church and Communists was under the banner of
liberation theology in the 60s/70s, about which I know scandalously little.

So there have been periods of dialogue but it all demands on the balance of
forces  If there is something in it for the church it will dialog, but
fundamentally it tends to opt for capitalism or power rather than opt for
the poor.  The Left is decimated around the world at present so the Church
has very little interest in talking to us, except to see how it can push
for an advantage.  I think that this is how to understand the Pope's visit
to Cuba for example.

Having said al that it is vital that we talk to the Christian radicals and
we should talk on their territory.  We should demand that they have an
ethical viewpoint and that they work for the Kingdom of god on earth.  That
was really the spirit behind my prologue.  Whether I succeeded or not is
another question.

regards

Gary