a clip of bourgeois news on Colombia

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Fri Aug 18 17:56:44 MDT 2000

Macdonald Stainsby wrote:

> To the list,
>  Owen says:
>
> > I have to say, it must
> > be pretty damn tough being a Maoist in a country with no peasants
> > (shopkeepers any substitute?), but I'll let that one drop.

Actually, it's pretty tough being a "Maoist" anyplace, including China during
Mao's life: the Chinese CP was serious in using "Mao-thought" rather than
"Maoism." (The three-worlds theory and the united front against the SU were a
rather misguided attempt to formulate a "Maoism" for the world.)
And the attempts of China-inspired formations to dream up "united fronts" in the
U.S. during the '70s were pretty pathetic, since the Chinese United Front did
presuppose a really large non-working class revolutionary class -- i.e., the
peasantry, as well as a national bourgeoisie that the revolution could find
principles of unity with. None of that exists in the U.S.

All that said [somewhat tersely], anyone who believes that there is nothing we
can learn from the Chinese Revolution is ill-educated. I suggest a careful
reading of William HInton's *Fanshen*, one of the truly great works of the 20th
century. And I would also suggest that we can learn much more from the successes
of earlier revolutionary struggles, whether in China or the U.S., than we can
learn from their errors and failures. Errors tend to be more time-place specific
than do successes.

Carrol