workers councils and democracy?

Doyle Saylor djsaylor at SPAMprimenet.com
Fri Aug 18 19:52:35 MDT 2000

Greetings Comrades,
    In replying to Owen Jones about workers councils Norman Mikalac writes
about selfish genes,

Norman,
human nature being what it is, acquisitive and selfish with an
undersupply of altruism, how can the "working class" do anything but
break up inevitably into factions with the consequent struggle for power
that we see through all of human history in ALL groups of whatever
"ism".  the "ins" and "outs" of political office, even if elected by
workers councils with all the requisite democratic features, seeking
economic advantages over each other and becoming the "haves" and "have
nots", with or w/o property, all over again with struggle,
counterrevolution, counter-counter, etc.  we see and theorize about
utopias, but unless the geneticists can exorcize our selfish and
acquisitive genes, i can't see how the utopias can flourish.

Doyle
Of course you know, Norman, that such thinking is Socio-biology or
Evolutionary Psychology.  Human nature is hardwired as they would
proselytize their sermons from the mouth.

As to your remark about workers councils and election of workers to that,
that the workers councils or other direct participatory forums for workers
have gone with the 20th century eludes your arguments.  They don't inspire
much of anything about workers rule anymore.  And you doom that by using a
mythic selfish gene.  Two non-existing ideas cancel each other out.  Well of
course.

Danielle's comment is direct and to the point, bourgeois or capitalist
theory of human "nature" plus workers councils amounting to a double dance
around the ballroom to the tunes and two steps of the twentieth century.  I
will sit that one out thanks.
Doyle Saylor