Ownership of Trepca (Re: Self Determination- Support It!)

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at SPAMgmx.net
Sat Aug 19 02:01:59 MDT 2000

Louis Proyect wrote:

> The Greek investors cut a deal with the
> Serb government to gain control over the Trepca mines. After laying out a
> half-billion dollars they got shafted (pun intended). This made them seek
> legal damages. They were furious with the Serbs. They claim that "Trepca is
> theirs" but the dastardly Serbs have different ideas.
>
> Isn't this the basic problem between the imperialists and the Serbs? The
> Serbs keep reneging on promises to behave themselves. Instead of acting as
> docile as the Bulgarians or the Romanians, they keep backtracking and
> changing their mind about this 'privatization' stuff.

I think in this respect Yugoslavia is no exception. Given the mafia
style of privatisation in eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union
quarells between the thieves and those ones buying the looted property
must follow almost instantly.

Johannes