Ownership of Trepca (Re: Self Determination- Support It!)

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at SPAMgmx.net
Sat Aug 19 16:40:12 MDT 2000

gdunkel at mindspring.com wrote:

> There is a significant difference between the situation in Yugoslavia and
> the rest of Eastern Europe.
>
> The Yugoslavs stood up to the KLA/UCK puppet army and defeated
> them, refused to sign to Rambouillet accords which would have imposed
> a NATO/US protectorate on their country, withstood 78 days of viciously
> intense US-led NATO bombing directed against their civilian infastructure
> and not their military. (Only 14 Yugoslav tanks were destroyed in those
> 78 days, for example.)
>
> The workers in the Trepca mines resisted the KFOR/NATO seizure, and
> major demonstrations were scheduled for this weekend.
>
> It appears to me, at least, that the Yugoslavs are still resisting US &
> European imperialism and the question is how to give them effective
> political and more support. Solidarity, informed solidarity for sure, is a
> mjaor weapon in our struggle against US & European imperialism.

Greg,

I am in complete agreement with you.

Just a few details on Trepca: Actually its not only a few mines but an
whole industrial complex. The trepca mines and the Zvecan smelter are
just the most known parts. Check out the link I posted previously.
Keeping in mind that its from a Soros think-tank it still contains lots
of valuable information, why the conflict around the Trepca complex is
decisive for the whole Kosovo issue.

Though (as it looks to me from some distance) the Serbian workers of the
Zvecan smelter and the Albanian miners of the Trepca mines are not yet
aware of it, but they are confronting the same enemy: the imperialist
UNMIK colonial administration. Its neither Serb or Albanian nationalism
thats the primary problem, but imperialist intervention into the life of
the Balkan peoples.

Just another thought: Everywhere in Eastern Europe workers are
protesting the efects of capitalist privatisation: Think of the Russian
and Romanian miners. In Poland there is widespread relcutance to change
the agriculture according to the wishes of the European Comission. The
fact that events in Yugoslavia dominate the news does not mean the
working class elsewhere in Eastern Europe is quiet.

Johannes