[Fwd: NYTimes attacks ASA meeting (fwd)]

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Sat Aug 19 20:15:07 MDT 2000

>Why does the Times bother to attack what we know is a small number
>of Marxists in the American Sociological Association?  I think an
>analogy with Edgar Allen Poe's "The Telltale Heart" might help us
>answer this question.  In that famous short story, the killer is
>haunted  by the sound of the still beating heart of the person he
>has murdered.  The bourgeoisie, which celebrates the death of
>Marxism and the triumph of globalized capitalism, is haunted by a
>fear that the heart of Marxism is still throbbing in its coffin, and
>that it might be resurrected.  This fear drives them to hysterically
>attack any symptom that Marxism remains alive.

A great reply to the asshole Walter Goodman. In his analogy with Poe's
tale, I am reminded of what Gary McLennan said here about Cuba:

===

Thank you for this Jose [a reply to a Reuters hatchet job on Cuba].  There
was  a doco on Cuba played on Oz TV recently that I simply could not watch.
It was full of the shit that [Reuter's reporter] Cawthorne is peddling. It
seems that Cuba is like the pea beneath the seven mattresses; tiny but the
Princess still cannot get to sleep because of it.

regards

Gary

Louis Proyect