60th Anniversary of Trotsky's Death

Owen Jones owen_jones at SPAMcwcom.net
Sun Aug 20 17:26:28 MDT 2000

 Comrades,

 Whatever you think of Trotsky, or the various hideous sects inspired in his
name, considering it is 60 years since his assassination in Mexico on
Tuesday, the 20th of August 1940, I saw it right to publish his short last
testament, being such a sentimental person as I am.

 Cheers - Owen

 ------------

 For forty-three years of my conscious life I have remained a revolutionist;
for forty-two of them I have fought under the banner of Marxism. If I had to
begin all over again I would of course try to avoid this or that mistake,
but the main course of my life would remain unchanged. I shall die a
proletarian revolutionist, a Marxist, a dialectical materialist, and,
consequently, an irreconcilable atheist. My faith in the communist future of
mankind is not less ardent, indeed it is firmer today, than it was in the
days of my youth.

 Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it
wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the
bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above
the wall, and sunlight everywhere.

 Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil,
oppression, and violence and enjoy it to the full.

 Leon Trotsky
 Coyoacan, Mexico