Fwd (GLW): EAST TIMOR: Jose Ramos Horta: 'CNRT will cease to exist'

Sun Aug 20 19:39:28 MDT 2000

> From: "Macdonald Stainsby
> GLW:
defended
> > the CNRT against charges that it was divided and fractious. He pointed
out
> > that the CNRT was unlike many resistance organisations in other
countries,
> > which, once in power, tended not to include those who had previously
> > opposed the resistance. He cited the African National Congress and
> > Nicaragua's FSLN as examples.
>
> Interesting... the DSP has (to my view, correctly) been supporting the
> struggle against the SACP's sell-out politics in S Africa... should I
gather
> from this post that a similar pattern of handing down power to the
outright
> bourgeoisie is being promoted by the DSP comrades? If the FSLN is a model
> for anything, it would seem to be a model for the continuing need to hold
up
> arms and stay vigilant. The ANC has become a different matter entirely.

If you assume that the DSP agrees with Ramos Horta...  but this would be a
fairly dubious assumption, given that in the same article it mentions that
Ramos Horta is cutting a deal with bourgeois collaborationists.

The article doesn't contain a big slab of "this is what the DSP thinks
about it", and it is normal to read quotations without comment as being
approval, so I am not surprised that you are puzzled.  On the other hand,
many Green Left articles quote viewpoints that are not those of the DSP, or
are written by people who are not DSP members.  This just means that you
have to read a little more carefully.

Would you prefer that each article end with three demands, of which the
last is: "Build the (Revolutionary Sect X), the Australian section of
(International Sect Y)"?  The Healyites come pretty close to doing that.
It has the advantage of clarity, even if it is mainly clear that the
authors are crackpots.

Alan Bradley
alanb at elf.brisnet.org.au