Residential schools

Craven, Jim jcraven at SPAMclark.edu
Mon Aug 21 17:30:04 MDT 2000

Note:

There will be a Tribunal of the Blackfoot Nation upcoming dealing with
genocide (the word never used by anyone but Roland), residential school
atrocities and how and with what ugly consequences the ugly "past" is alive
and well in the present. Some other issues and struggles have delayed this
Tribunal but Blackfoot, as a sovereign nation by any criteria that might
make Canada or the U.S. "sovereign nations", have every right to conduct our
own Tribunals under aboriginal law and employing such precedents (e.g.
Nuremberg etc) and international conventions as Blackfoot see fit and
proper.

The Tribunal will be conducted as a sacred event with no grandstanding,
self-promotions, networking or anything else detracting from its sacred
mission. Respected Elders of the Siksika, Akainai, Northern Peigan and
Southern Peigan Tribes will sit as Judges and all concerned parties will be
invited to make their submissions.

The churches, so concerned about going bankrupt (they went morally bankrupt
long long ago), want "reconciliation" without prior healing; they want phony
healing without justice; and they want phony and convenient "justice"
without truth. They are all of a sudden so interested in "Truth and
Reconciliation Commissions" where there are no monetary damages, no
penalties for perjury etc.

In Aboriginal Law, there are five sacred mandates each a prior condition for
the next: without TRUTH, there can be no JUSTICE; without TRUTH and JUSTICE,
there can be no HEALING; without TRUTH, JUSTICE and HEALING there can be no
RECONCILIATION; and without TRUTH, JUSTICE, HEALING AND RECONCILIATION there
can be no PREVENTION OF FUTURE ABUSE; and without TRUTH, JUSTICE,
HEALING,RECONCILIATION AND PREVENTION OF FUTURE ABUSE, ther can be no
climate conducive to the further search for TRUTH; from TRUTH TO TRUTH in a
sacred (non-linear and non-reductionistic) Hoop.

Although Blackfoot are involved in civil litigation as many are poor and
have ongoing costs associated with the terrors of the Residential Schools,
Blackfoot no more seek "Truth and Justice" in Canadian or American Courts
than a Jew would seek Truth and Justice in a nazi court; and we do not even
recognize any Canadian authority over Blackfoot as hundreds are
demonstrating by refusing to accept or carry the new Canadian "Status
Cards."

This battle is part of a much larger war and its has just begun. Notice the
framing of the question: Should the Churches go Bankrupt? How about should
poor Ted Bundy lose his carefree lifestyle? Or, like someone who goes out
and gets doped up and causes multiple deaths and then says well I just can't
give up my Mazzerati, Summer Home in Florida, my Chalet in Switzerland and
my multiple bank accounts--but I really am sorry...

Jim Craven

James Craven
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.
Vancouver, WA. 98663
(360) 992-2283; Fax: (360) 992-2863
blkfoot5 at earthlink.net
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~blkfoot5
Opinion*
"I am aware that many object to the severity of my language;
but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth,
and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not
wish to think, or speak, or write with moderation. No! No!
Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm;
tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the
ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from
the fire into which it has fallen; but urge me not to use
moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest--I
will not equivocate--I will not excuse. I will not retreat a single
inch--and I will be heard."
(William Lloyd Garrison, Abolitionist, on Slavery, 1831)