Paul Phillips comments on Yugo stats (from PEN-L)

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at SPAMgmx.net
Wed Aug 23 11:23:19 MDT 2000

Louis Proyect wrote:

> Owen wrote:
> >
> > Louis,
> >
> > Does this fascinating piece by Paul Phillips not demonstrate what
Johannes
> >and I have been saying all along - that the former bureaucracy, with
> >Milosevic at its head, commenced the restoration of capitalism in order
> >transform what was a privileged caste into the new bourgeoisie?
>
> no.

Louis,

my starting point was the argument that the way privatisation occured in
what is now Yugoslavia did not differ in quality from other East European
states. I think imperialist hostility towards Yugoslavia must have other
reasons than the alleged 'non-capitalist' character of Yugoslavia.

I think these two  quotes  from Paul Philips back my position:

"If  you look at Slovenia's for around the same period you will find
similar results."

"Last I heard, the same situation was true in Croatia with the result of
more state ownership now than ever before."

I am just wondering, what are your conclusions from the Paul Philips piece.

Johannes