Did Lincoln free the slaves? (yes and no)

Norman Mikalac mikalac at SPAMworldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 29 15:54:59 MDT 2000

yes for some and no for others.

Emancipation Proclamation (January 1, 1863)

"And by virtue of the power, and for the purpose aforesaid, I do
order and declare that all persons held as slaves within said
designated States, and parts of States, are, and henceforward shall be
free; and that the Executive government of the United States,
including the military and naval authorities thereof, will recognize and
maintain the freedom of said persons."

The Thirteenth Amendment (ratified December 6, 1865).

"Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a
punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted,
shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to
their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by
appropriate legislation."

therefore, on 1/1/63, Lincoln's Proclmation freed the slaves in the
rebellious states.
on 12/6/65, the XIIIth amendment freed all slaves from all the states.

norm