Wallace and Nader query

Soldoll@SPAMinreach.com soldoll
Tue Aug 29 21:45:30 MDT 2000

The Nader campaign, as you correctly note, is weaker than the Wallace
campaign.  The CP, while licking its wounds, was still a major political
force. In addition, those national unions that the CP dominated were
involved in the campaign.

In Flint, we wanted to participate in the campaign.  We were still a major
political force, especially in Chevrolet.  There was a great attraction to
the Wallace campaign by UAW members and leaders in Flint.  We were under
attack by the Reuther forces and saw this as a political opportunity to meet
up with the union members involved in the Wallace campaign. We never thought
of the CP as a real contender with  us and didn't believe they dominated the
Flint Party.

There was a similar response in Buffalo and Chicago. I think there were some
articles in an Internal Bulletin expressing their position.

We arrived at the convention without any prior discussion of our poetical
position and we were sandbagged by Cannon who proposed that we run a
national election campaign with Farrell Dobbs as presidential candidate.

The Cannon proposal disarmed us.  How could we support Wallace against
Dobbs? I do not recall any further discussion  at the convention which was
swept up by the Cannon proposal.