Forwarded from Anthony

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Wed Aug 30 08:09:41 MDT 2000

Hi Lou:

Two brief notes.

I agree with Jim Farmelant's views on Lincoln, and the
emancipation of slaves. I would go further, because
the military offensive of the North into the south -
Sherman's march to the sea and other operations,
relied on the disruption of southern slave society
caused by the rumours of the emancipation which spread
in advance  of the northern troops. I believe there is
a lot of material on this in the works of Phillip
Foner, if anyone is interested in looking for it.

I think that it is very likely Lincoln's views on
slavery and racism were changing quickly during the
civil war, and that characterizing the man by what he
said before the emancipation proclamation would be a
big mistake. I am sure that a lot of his private
correspondance from 1862 on is in the public domain.

Most people in a big struggle change their views. Most
of the white supporters of the civil rights movement
of the 50's and 60's grew up in the midst of racism. I
remember a little jingle I learned in grade school
about "Catch a nigger, by the toe..." I didn't know it
was offensive, untold told so by another eight year
old boy, who happened to be black. If we could learn
from the struggle, I imagine a smart guy like Lincoln
could, too.

Lincoln was the leader of the imperialist petty
bourgeoisie - the small farmers of the West. If you
want to boil Lincoln's program down to one point, you
could say it was the Homestead act. His aim was to
open up more land for colonization by the small
farmers. He was willing to free the slaves, to
complete the conquest of the native American
societies.

In this, Marx supported him, perhaps without having
completely thought it through.

I think it is very interesting that the gentleman from
Ebony should at this point in history launch this kind
of 'revisionist' attack on Lincoln's myth. As I am
very distant from cureent developments in the black
communities of the USA, and among the black
intelligentisa there, it makes me curious. What's
happening?

Almost last, thank you to Kevin Lindemann and Cathy
Campo for the reference to Kautsky's work on
agriculture. Lou is sending me some excerpts that will
help.

And thank you to Michael Perleman for the refernce to
Anthony could try

Murray, Robin. 1977. "Value and Theory of Rent: Part
One." Capital and
Class, 3 (Autumn): pp. 100-22.

This is not available to me here in Bogota, but I
would be interested in reading it. If it is available
online, or if anyone could send it to me email, or fax
it, or even send it snail mail, I would appreciate it.

Anthony

Louis Proyect