John Mage on sodomy

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Sat Dec 2 21:53:54 MST 2000

Philip Ferguson wrote:

> As to your point about explaining why sodomy existed among the monks, I
> tend to think this is self-explanatory.  I can't imagine it not existing
> among them!

There is a huge class of jokes, anecdotes, fictional scenes in English
all woven about the assumption that sodomy is commonplace among
sailors. I presume that in medieval Europe similar jokes, etc. would
have surrounded monasterys. And both a current (bitter) reality and
a cliche of crime fiction is the prevalence of rape in prisons. As you
say, no explanation is needed.

Carrol