Labyrinth

Sun Dec 3 21:12:38 MST 2000

En relación a Re: Labyrinth,
el 3 Dec 00, a las 18:21, snedeker dijo:

> I have never been able to get anything from reading Borges, other than just
> falling asleep.

Personally, I believe that the poems from his first years ("Cuaderno San
Martín", or "Luna de enfrente") are still worth reading (not many people share
this opinion of mine, and I would like to hear Julio FB on this --BTW, Julio
has impersonated Borges in one of the pictures he produced (Cipayos), and
covered the Great Poet with ridicule!).  Probably, the readability and worth of
those first poems has to do with both the initial relation of Borges with
Spanish ultraism (which somehow, and for a while, took him away from the German
and English clasics he had been fed on since childhood), and with the
characteristics of that Argentina of the 1920s, still living in a relatively
harmonious insertion in the world system. The lyrical character of those poems
is a reflection of the hopeful sight of Borges with his apparently peaceful and
"modern" environment.

Perhaps nothing compares better with this original poetry of his, quite full of
feeling (though not too personal, NEVER too personal!), and the poem he
dedicated, in awe, to the South Atlantic War in 1982.  The latter is, as a
whole, a spotless paean to sepoy mind and thought, and there is a particular
fact. The poem opposes two "intellectuals", who have been put to fight against
the other by the stupidity of war. The Argentine one is called López, the
British one is a Ward.

Please note the subtle horror: in Spanish (and this, Borges could not but take
into account) López means "the son of Lope", and Lope is one of the ways to
speak of Lope de Vega, the greatest poet of the Golden Age in Spanish
literature. So that you have the Son of Lope fighting against the --Ward, or
should we say the Guard?

Ah, Borges.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar