John Mage on Sodomy

Mon Dec 4 11:31:27 MST 2000

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 12/02/00 07:52PM >>>
>CB: If I understand John correctly, is he saying that sodomy laws
>were only incidently directed at sodomy as part of a main
>politicaleconomic effort to dissolve the monasteries as part of the
>rise of the capitalists in England?

In part, yes, though attacks upon sodomy (non-procreative sexual
acts) were also expressions of the changing sexual ethic to go with
the new mode of production.

((((((((((

CB: How did the old sexual ethic go with the feudal mode and the new sexual ethic go
with the capitalist mode ?

(((((((((

 Moreover, it was also a struggle between
the rise of nationalism (Puritanism in England) and the older
imperial power (symbolized by the Catholic Church).  Recall that the
Reformation was in part about the creation of national churches &
cultures (e.g., translation of the Bible from Latin into vernaculars).

CB: Yes, the Catholic Church and its officials, were a main sector of the feudal
ruling class.