Holland: the new killing fields

Marta Russell ap888 at SPAMlafn.org
Wed Dec 6 15:20:03 MST 2000

One doesn't have to be a Marxist to understand that costly
patients will be the first to be done in.
marta

WORLD FEDERATION OF DOCTORS WHO RESPECT HUMAN LIFE
WORLD FEDERATION OF DOCTORS WHO RESPECT HUMAN LIFE
FEDERATION MONDIALE DE MEDECINS POUR LE RESPECT DE LA VIE HUMAINE
FEDERACION MUNDIAL DE MEDICOS QUE RESPETAN LA VIDA HUMANA
PRESIDENT: K.F.GUNNING MD, GROENE WETERING 24, 3062 PC ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
GENERAL SECRETARY: PH.SCHEPENS MD, SERRUYSLAAN 76, B-8400 OSTEND, BELGIUM
Holland Guide to the World?
  This week our parliament reversed the law that forbids killing
patients deliberately.
       That is contrary to Art. 2 of the European Convention for
the Protection of Human
    Rights which says: "Everyone’s right to life shall be
protected by law." The new law
   allows doctors to kill a patient under certain conditions.
Only killing at the patient’s
      explicit request is allowed. by the new law. The
euthanizing doctor must make a
    report stating that all the conditions were met. That report
is sent to a committee
   that must judge whether the doctor acted correctly, and on the
basis of this report
  the committee must judge. But the author of the report is the
doctor himself. Can we
      be sure that the report is truthful? According to Dutch
jurisdiction no one can be
     expected to accuse himself. If the doctor has killed a
patient against his will, that
   point will not be mentioned in the report. How can the
committee discover that the
  report is false? The chief witness, the patient, is dead.
Relatives may be interested in

           the heritage.
The new law takes away the protection of the patient’s right to
life, promised by the
European Convention. Holland has become a guide for the world,
only a guide
directing the world in the wrong direction. Holland is very proud
to be the first
country to legalize patient-killing, but it seems to be heading
for a world where the
doctor decides about life and death., a society where doctors
give out certifcates for
those who are allowed to live. Will people accept such a society?
I doubt it. I think
Holland is miscalculating the world’s urge to "claim euthanasia".
How is it possible that Holland became the pioneer? Dutch doctors
have risked their
lives by refusing to take part in Hitler’s euthanasia program,
that killed over a
hundred thousand German patients with a mental handicap. I think
the answer is
that there is a worldwide strategy to promote abortion and
euthanasia, and that
Holland was chosen as the pioneer-country. to promote
euthanasia., like the UK was
the first country to legalize abortion.
The battle for the legalization of euthanasia began some 25 years
ago with the media
strongly supporting this patient-killing movement. Then a
woman-doctor killed her
own mother, who was not really ill but depressed. She got a
probatory few weeks
detention, but never entered prison. Since then the courts have
continued to add new
cases in wich euthanasia can be committed without punishment.
In 1995 and in 1900 (Remmelink Committee) research has been done
regarding the
extent of what the Dutch government calls euthanasia: intentional life-ending
treatment at the patient’s request. According to this definition
there were 3,663
cases of euthanasia and assisted suicide, that is 2.7% of all
deaths in the year 1995.
But besides the cases of euthanasia, according to the Dutch
definition, other
situations of life-ending treatment, active or withholding, with
or without request by
the patient, with or without the doctor’s intention to kill, were
investigated.. Thereby
intensifying pain treatment and refraining from (further)
treatment are considered
to be "normal medical treatment", even when the doctor has the
intention or partly
the intention to end the patient’s life.
If all cases in which a patient died after a decision by the
doctor to hasten the end of
his life are counted together (assuming that the numbers given approximately
represent reality), then we get the following picture: On a total
mortality of nearly
136,000 in Holland in 1995 in over 26,000 cases, that is in
almost 20% of all deaths, a
doctor took the decision to shorten the patient’s life. In many
cases there was no
request by the patient.
These are figures that should make us think. And it looks like
these numbers will only
increase when the euthanasia law has been adopted. When I told a
colleague that in
nearly 20% of all deaths a doctor had taken a decision to hasten
the end of life, he
answered: "That should become 100%".
And yet I don’t believe that will happen. I don’t think the world
will follow the Dutch
guide. I think the Dutch example will show too clearly that it is
impossible to allow
killing patients who want to be killed without taking away the
protection of patients
who don’t want to be killed.. That is too high a price for the
"luxury" of being able to
choose euthanasia.
K.F.Gunning, M.D. Rotterdam
--