Sapir-Whorf Redux! (was Re: Max Weber's Genteel Racism)

Thu Dec 7 05:46:04 MST 2000

> The Sapir-Whorf thesis is a strong version of linguistic determinism.
> "[I]n the words of [Edward] Sapir: 'Human beings...are very much at
> the mercy of the particular language which has become the medium of
> expression for their society....The fact of the matter is that the
> "real world" is to a large extent unconsciously built up on the
> language habits of the group'" (at
> <http://www.lsadc.org/Slobin.html>).

How the fuck this is relevant to anything, I am not sure. I am sorry if you like this
stuff Yoshie, but I just finished some course work where this kind of gobbledygak made
me want to scream. This sounds like a blend of philosophy and psychology, and all of it
(as always) is seperated from the class structures that precede them.

Pomos are taken seriously by some, but the general population of the students tend to
identify it with aroma therapy and the Dalai Lama. that is, "it's really cool, if you
are in to that...". I hope it stays that way. Interesting though, I notice more of the
Rightists tend not to be-little Pomo theory, but promote it as the new left...

AARgh.

Macdonald