Max Weber: the "Iron Cage" & the Commercialization Model

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Thu Dec 7 17:35:01 MST 2000

>Max Weber writes:
>
>>"these peculiarities of Western capitalism have derived their
>>significance in the last analysis only from their association with
>>the organization of labour.
>
>The problem, however, is _how_ free labor came into being.  That is
>why Carrol & I asked folks to read Ellen Wood, _The Origin of
>Capitalism_, NY: Monthly Review Press, 1999; _Democracy Against
>Capitalism: Renewing Historical Materialism_, Cambridge: Cambridge
>UP, 1995; etc.  Wood writes:

Yoshie, I wouldn't waste time trying to change Max's mind. I was in the
same class with him at the New School for Social Research way back when and
he was as stubborn as a mule. If anything, he's probably gotten worse over
the years.

Louis Proyect