Replying to Marta was re: Holland: the new killing fields

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at SPAMjuno.com
Thu Dec 7 17:47:49 MST 2000

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:10:19 +1000 Gary MacLennan
<g.maclennan at qut.edu.au> writes:

>  Your
> reply to
> Macdonald pain and death was exactly what my friends who believe in
> the"sanctity of life" tell me.

As I am sure that you are well-aware, that your fellow Aussie, the
philosopher
Peter Singer has writing critiques of the "sancity of life" as that
notion
has been handed down to us from the Judeo-Christian tradition,
arguing that this notion provides a poor basis for resolving issues
of medical ethics.  Singer, of course writes from the standpoint
of a utilitarian liberal, so it might be of interest sometime to
discuss here, how Marxists would critique both the ethics
of the "sanctity of life" and the proposed alternatives to it
that have been offered by people such as SInger.

Jim F.

>To be frank I cannot see the
> superiority of
> being dosed into semi-consciousness with morphine compared with
> choosing to
> exit.
>
> warm regards
>
> Gary